When it comes to entertaining of any type, the key is to do as much ahead of time as possible. You want to make guests feel at home and relaxed, and you want to spend time together!
Here is a checklist for Thanksgiving:
- Do all of the shopping a week ahead of time except for the things that may spoil.
- Set out all your serving platters and utensils a week ahead of time. Polish, clean and mark what each one will be used for.
- Have table arrangements that are ready to go. You don’t need to be messing with fresh flowers that day.
- Determine how much food you will need. Most people will eat about six ounces of meat and another 10 – 12 ounces of other food.
- Set the table or tables a couple of days in advance.
- Make your dressing or stuffing the day before.
- Mash the potatoes early in the day.
- Don’t be a martyr. It’s okay to cut corners wherever you can. The goal for everyone is to have a good time, including the hosts!